I provide students of all ages with tutoring in all aspects of English Language Arts, including writing, editing, grammar, and vocabulary. I have found that the need for additional support can arise when:
- A student consistently expresses a reluctance or resistance to writing (which can occur even in otherwise gifted and/or verbal students)
- A student has no trouble starting writing projects but struggles to bring them to completion
- A student is comfortable with the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, spelling, and punctuation, but has difficulty finding her voice or feeling like she has "anything to say"
- A student is comfortable with creative written expression but struggles with some of the mechanics of writing, including sentence, essay, and story structure
- A student is searching for a writing process that 'fits' him (there are a variety of tried-and-true processes, but many times only one is taught in class)
- Extra coaching is needed to ensure progress through all the steps of a major writing project, including brainstorming, outlining, researching, writing, and revising
- Feedback and proofreading is needed on rough or near-final drafts
- A student is drafting or preparing to write an essay as part of an application to middle school, high school, or college
Whether you (or your student) needs support in overcoming resistance to writing, finding your own creative or professional voice, making your way through a large (or small) writing project, proofreading, copy editing, or bringing works to completion, I have broad experience, a good ear, a keen eye, and a love of the written word. My experience with editing, writing, and general English tutoring can help you or your child.
Aside from my experience as an established English tutor and writing tutor, my academic and professional experience includes working as a professional copy editor, proofreader, and ghostwriter; 6 years as an undergraduate, masters, and PHD-level philosophy student; creating and reviewing tightly written, logically and mechanically-sound works of academic and professional writing; participation in creative writing groups and workshops consistently throughout the past 25 years; participation in several public ‘writers’ readings’; published creative pieces in national and regional journals; leading nature writing hikes in national parks; performing weekly for years as part of an improvisational comedy troupe; and live storytelling.